Friday, August 2, 2013

Defunding Obamacare, Then What?

PPACA (ObamaCare) is a federally mandated network of Health Exchanges implemented by the states.

A small group of Republicans is currently running an obstructionist campaign to stop the Federal Funding of PPACA. I applaud the effort.

But, here's the problem. Even if the Feds defund ObamaCare, we are stuck with the centralized exchanges. We will be in a horrific mess that will most likely be resolved by the creation of state level bureaucracies that are even worse than ObamaCare.

This leads to the fundamental problem of "conservatism."

Obstruction does not provide a path forward.

Obstructionism alone is not a path to the future.


If we want to restore health freedom, then there has to be a vision to work towards.

The one and only way that we can have a vision to work towards is if people spoke with each other.

Conservatives, with the obstructionist mindset, simply shut everyone out and kick their neighbors down.

But by kicking people down, conservatives destroy all hopes of finding solutions. Since conservatives refuse to talk, think or engage in discourse, they open the door for the next band of statist rogues who are willing to talk and engage in discourse.

Even if the obstructionist campaign works and Congress defunds the Federal component of health care, we are still saddled with the state component, which is where the real oppression in PPACA lies.

To get rid of the state component, the freedom movement needs to have a constructive solution. This can only happen if people in the freedom movement speak to one another.

The weak point of the health exchanges is the insurance mandate. The insurance mandate is built on the false assumption that insurance is the only possible way to fund health care.

I want to challenge the insurance mandate through a presentation that shows insurance is not the best way to fund health care.

The presentation involves mathematics and takes an hour or so. Attending the presentation might help empower activists against ObamaCare. I really don't know this for certain. In five years I've been unable to find a single Conservative who has enough interest in health care reform to spend an afternoon talking about the problem.

I live in Utah. I am not LDS. The Utah GOP does not allow participation of non-Mormons in the party (see Closed Society). I accept that. I am willing to travel. I would be willing to travel to Denver, Cheyenne, Phoenix, Las Vegas. Boise, Reno, just for the privilege of talking to another human.

What I want to talk about is the mathematics of funding health care. In the meeting I would present a mathematical model that shows that insurance underserves the middle and working class of this nation. I wish to argue that we could create a better model built around self-funded health care and a restoration of fee for service medicine.

I've spent five years with the single minded goal of finding a small group of people willing to spend an afternoon talking about free market health care reform.

I must confess.I am not a Conservative. I am what you might call a Classical Liberal. I define Classical Liberalism as the application of classical logic to the question of liberty.. I believe the US Founders were classical liberals. They had a liberal-arts education steeped in classical logic. They applied this education to the question of liberty.

I believe solutions are found in reason, mathematics and science. The scientific method involves detailed analysis of problems with a heavy dosing of peer review. I've engaged in analysis of health care, and I want someone to review the ideas.

I am not all that keen on obstructionism. I do not see obstructionism as a positive path to the future, but am willing to fight hard for American ideals.

Quite frankly, I believe that the reason our nation is falling apart is because Conservatives refuse to actively engage in discourse and spend too much time engaged in obstructionism.

I've spent over five years and over $10,000 just trying to find a person who is willing to review a mathematical model.  If people in the freedom movement are unwilling to engage in discourse, all hope for renewing the American Experiment in self rule is over. Obstructionism alone leads to ruin.

No comments:

Post a Comment