Friday, October 11, 2013

Why Not Just Blog?

TheSelfPayPatient.com tweeted the following question: "Not a meeting, but how about a blog?"

Sadly, I fear a blog is insufficient for a quality discussion on health care. 

A blog, by nature, is a monologue. Health care requires dialogue.  The best way to create a dialog is with face to face meetings.

For that matter, the reason Obama rose to power is because his group held an extremely large number of face to face meetings in which enemies of freedom discussed health care. Community organizers in the Alinsky School of politics actively engage in the community.

I have never personally never met a Conservative who was willing to discuss free market health care. I've attended scores of meetings about different ways to destroy free market health care.

Yes, there are conservative pundits who want to promote themselves. Pundits who are promoting themselves are not engaged in discourse. They are involved in publicity campaigns and their own private monolog.

Punditry often undermines the cause of freedom. For example, I believe that the "defund-ObamaCare" group was so caught up in their own private monologues that they failed to appreciate just how a government shutdown would play out in the nation.

The shutdown diverted all of the conversations about the poor implementation of ObamaCare to the shutdown. Getting caught up in a monologue often does more harm than good.

In my opinion, attempts to save our freedom must be based on a dialogue that interfaces with the public in an intelligent fashion.

So, my goal isn't to dictate policy, but to start conversations. So, I put together a presentation that could start a conversation.

In the presentation I create a model of self-funded health care, then create a model of pooled insurance. I then show why the pool model under-serves the working poor and middle class. The presentation takes about an hour. It would be followed by a conversation that could rage for weeks.
I live in Utah, which is run by the LDS Church. The Mormon establishment is 100% committed to socializing health care through exchanges. They disagree on who should regulate the exchanges.

Harry Reid, Mitt Romney, Governor Mike Leavitt, Governor Jon Huntsman, Karl Rove, The Sutherland Institute, etc., are all for variations of the Health Exchanges. The Book of Commandments by Joseph Smith declares the following:
26 If thou lovest me, thou shalt serve me and keep all of my commandments; and behold, thou shalt consecrate all thy properties, that which thou hast unto me, wih a covenant and deed which cannot be broken; and they shall be laid before the bishop of my church, and two of the elders, such as he shall appoint and set apart for that purpose.

27 And it shall come to pass, that the bishop of my church, after that he has received the properties of my church, that it can not be taken from the church, he shall appoint every man a steward over his own property, or that which he has received, in as much as is sufficient for himself and family:

28 And the residue shall be kept to administer to him who has not, that every man may receive according as he stands in need:

The Book of Commandments is supposedly a direct revelation from The Heavenly Father and is to be viewed as the new Ten Commandments for the Latter Days. See The United Order of Enoch.

That quote above is the starting point of the Conservative argument in Utah. The sentence before this says:

25 Thow knowest my laws, they are given in my scriptures, he that sinneth and repenth not, shall be cast out.

In Mormon Theology, The Heavenly Father tells the righteous that they are to "cast out" people who disagree with the central authority of the church.

I disagree with the people like Harry Reid who are trying to socialize health care. But I live in a region where people are taught to cast out those who disagree with their central authority.

Anyway, back to the question of blogging. I live in an area where politics is controlled by a rogue group that dictates policy and does not tolerate open discourse. The most prominent politician in this group is none other than Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev) ... the primary author of PPACA.

I am not only against PPACA, the Health Exchanges and socialized care. I am against this method in which a roguish group monologues, issues dictates and casts people out. (The picture shows the Tower of Power from which dictates issue.)

Because I live in Utah. the only hope I have to engage in actual discourse about health care is to travel. The only way that this could possibly happen is if I found a group of a half dozen or so people near Utah that is willing to spend an afternoon debating health care.

The primary direction of my blog is to find people within 700 miles of the Beehive State willing to hold an meeting on health care. It's pathetic, but it is the only hope I see.

BTW: I could produce blog post after blog posts on the merits of self-funded care and fee for service medicine. But if I am never in a situation where I get to talk face to face with people, I feel that all such effort is meaningless.

No comments:

Post a Comment